Thursday, April 17, 2008

Update on the puppet

Okay, he is going - well probably. We sort of have an unspoken rule that if one thing comes in to be kept, another has to be parted with. We do have a LOT of beautiful things now - I am a real accumulator, too much so really (it's too easy in Prague - though there aren't as many amazing things around as there used to be). Plus he is one of a pair. He came with a "Fu Man Chu" head, so I suppose they ought to go together ideally. They will find their place. Anyway, this I just bought this wonderful old needlework (and it was a huge bargain, don't even ask!) and I am keeping it instead of Mr Pierrot - I have some ideas about it becoming part of a fantasy black and white interior - which of course will never happen, but is good to dream on. However, it will also be used to take scans from. I think it could be used in some stunning bags. Win-win? I get to keep it entirely guilt-free. It's for work you see. :) But in general, the only problem with my Cabinet of Curiosities idea is that I go looking for things - and go into mad acquisition mode. I need to control myself and get most of the finds on to the shop and STOP making excuses for them staying here. What did I say about Buddhist exercises? Now I have to go and work out which myth this is and the proper name for a mer-lion. Edited to add. Oh, he is a Leo-kampus apparently: http://www.theoi.com/Ther/Hippokampoi.html Edited again (and yes, I know I'm talking to myself here): http://www.theoi.com/Gallery/Z33.4.html He is a Sea-panther NOT a sea lion (silly me). It's Galateia riding a sea-panther. A somewhat unusual thing to do as a needlework I would have thought, but well, there it is. Ah, hmm, she is the goddess of calm seas. So, it gets more and more interesting. Made by a sea-man's wife perhaps? You see? This blog can be quite educational at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment