Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Strangely silent?

If anyone out there is wondering where I've gone to (okay, no-one even noticed I expect) then the answer is across the studio (four steps) to work with Alex on his machine - we are doing a final "dummy" of the picture book. Sort of half-made pictures at this point, but easily enough to see how it's all going to look. What has got me completely hooked is how WELL it's turning out. I imagined the picture book as being a secondary thing to the deck, but in fact it has taken on a whole life. It is just wonderful to break the format of the deck and see this complete world emerge. The fun of being able to see behind the frames - and work on big scenes. The panoramas feel like working cinemascope or something - SPACE! It is also turning out to be a very funny book - I hoped for that but didn't quite believe that text and pictures would work so well together. There are several scenes that originally felt like "plot vehicles" but which are now full of their own weird happenings. I have become very fond of the sad ginger Prince Scratch - he does NOT get the girl, but Alex says that he deserves to really. She in fact marries the lovable rogue (Danski Danny Boy tabby in his first starring role). So - another meeting with the guy doing the text tomorrow (I sort of blocked it out, and he actually crafted it - he is a published novelist and can write in a way that I just can't). Oh - I think I'm in love with the Bohemian Cats. I've wanted to do a book like this for years. Pictures to come - but not for a week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment