Friday, December 29, 2006

A day of foraging

We decided to have a bit of time out looking for "things" today. We were half successful in buying more mulled wine mix- the very nice lady at the spice shop had been indulging in a bit of festive cheer herself I think and it took a bit of time to explain what we wanted - and then there was only enough mix for a few more packets (but she is expecting more early in the New Year). We found our friend's shop closed - a pity as I am keen to photograph some of her more gorgeous antique jewellery and get it on to our shop (she has of course approved this) as I think it would be a nice thing for us and a help for her. Things have been a bit quiet for her this year - as she said, stag parties don't buy many antiques :( She has great taste and I am constantly yearning after half the jewellery in her shop (she had an over the top Victorian Gothic garnet cross that I just LUSTED after - even though I don't wear crosses, but it was sheer "Bride of Dracula" but REAL, not costume - oh well, it sold, just as well as it was way out of my price range). She would like to try online selling but is a bit unsure how to begin and it will add something new and nice to browse for us - so good all round. Anyway, we will get this done maybe next week - look out for the most lovely things. Then - on we went to a bric a brac shop that I like, but which turned out to have nothing of interest. Then to an antiquarian bookshop (yes, we do lurk in these) to find this - The distinctly sinister children (I must find a place for them in the Dark Sister deck). Close-up of Can-Can dancers. You just have to wonder what's the story behind the cross young man in green. The whole thing - complete with disaproving priest and some more sinister clowns (and into the Dark Sister they must go, willing or no). A really excellent find I think - though buying it was an odd experience as this particular shop is, well, odd.

No comments:

Post a Comment