Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Time for some pictures

This was our conversation this last Saturday night - Alex Oh! I've just realised that tonight is "museum night" in Prague. Let's go at 12. Alex Eh Darling? (actually, more like "WHAASSAT?") Alex You know, the night where all the museums are open and they're free. Me Ah? Really? And you want to go at midnight? Are they open at midnight? Alex Er, not sure. Er, hmm. Maybe we should check. Me (after much googling). *****y H***! It finishes tonight at midnight and it's ten now. Alex Quick, quick, quick! Me Hang on, hang on, need to find a jacket. And off we went. As we'd left it so late we only got as far as the Schwarzenberg Palace http://www.prague.net/schwarzenberg-palace - which is more or less next door (well, up a hill). But as it's newly restored and opened it would have been my first choice anyway. It was packed with excited people and there was a bit of a queue to get in. But after just ten minutes or so, we were let loose in the rooms. They are SPECTACULAR - in fact, it's hard to know whether to look at the architecture (complete with ceiling paintings) or the sculpture and pictures. So - I'm going to be posting lots in the next few days, but for now here is the first thing I saw in the first room. And yes, I actually did say "OH!" out loud when I saw her/him - but then I had had a Kir Royale after supper so was perhaps not as reserved as possible. The photography is not wonderful by the way, as it was night-time and flash was forbidden (as were tripods). But still, I want to show you: This angel is roughly a metre and a bit high and made of painted wood I think (sorry, that sounds pathetic - blame the kir and my lack of a notebook and reading glasses). It's from the Wallenstein Palace, one of my favourite places, and it's pretty military-looking. Pretty much the whole of the Wallenstein art is about war and death - oh, and metamorphosis. Which, come to think of it, makes it odd that I like it so much. I do like his dimple - nice touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment