Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Autumn and floods, floods and autumn - and a woodpecker on a lightning rod

Autumn came about two weeks ago, but I didn't like to mention it as I thought if I said nothing, summer might come back. Sadly it seems not. We are living with constant rain and the possibility of floods. Small floods might be okay in a way - they might at least wake our local authorities up to the fact that to dismiss the Prague floods of 2002 at "500-year floods" is hardly facing up to reality in times of global climate change. But large floods - floods like three years ago? I so much hope not, it would be almost unbearable for all those people who have really only just managed to get their places straight again. It's hard to describe what bad floods do - the smell, the dirt, the dampness that can carry on for years - and the loss of some fabulous architectural details (even though we were lucky enough to have only one death, the loss of art and architecture hurts.) Oh well, I look at the rain and hope... On a brighter note, as I was leaving the flat this morning I notice Minnie on the terrace entranced with something. I looked up, and there on our lightning rod was an indignant Great Spotted Woodpecker - drilling in an annoyed manner and obviously being surprised by the iron-hard wood. I joined Minnie in gazing entranced - beautiful bird, though obviously a little short-sighted.

No comments:

Post a Comment